Monday, May 26, 2014

Decoration Day Monday- 20 fish

It was so rainy this morning that I guess a lot of the weekenders gave it up.  Race boat radio guy loaded his jet boat on the trailer.  When the sun came out and I went fishing, I had the lake almost to myself with just a couple kayaks and a few rowing fishermen.

I rowed out over the calm Second  lake to that spot where Bruce and I hit perch yesterday, on the West side of the Island and under those electrical wires.  I guess I"ll call that spot "Bruce's perch patch."
The perch were still there.
Along with them I took a couple white perch, my first this season, and bluegills.
Two white perch and 10 yellow perch and 8 bluegill/pumpkinseed filled the bucket.
I used the little rubber perch like lure with a tiny bit of worm until they ate the tail off.  Then I switched to a dark twister tail with some salt flavor.  They hit both, but were not dependable if I dropped off the worm part. 

I netted the larger perch after one spit the hook as I lifted it in the boat.  The higher sides makes it more likely that the fish will get off.  I don't care about bluegills that escape, but I want to eat the perch while I can get them.  Generally, once the bluegills bed I will get 8 bluegills to every 2 perch, so this hole of yellow perch was a rare treat this late in the spring. 

At one point I hooked what I expect was a pickerel.  It came up to the boat strong and deep and when it turned to head away, it just kept going and spit the hook.
I am so excited to have pickerel in the lake again.
The weeds may frustrate us when we swim this year, but I like the lake back to what it was before it was treated.

I went home when the perch stopped biting and cleaned them up while talking to neighbor Chuck. 
Again I liked having my new umbrella for shade.
Scrubbing the cavities in the kitchen caused me to remember when I first dated Elizabeth and she wanted to do the scrubbing.  One small perch ended up sliding down the drain and I had to take the drain apart in the basement and find it.
She does not remember.
It must be about 19 years ago.

My back hurt by the time I finished.  I packaged up a couple meals for Peter. 
Years ago I could clean three times that many fish, starting at 9 PM and going until early in the morning.  I'd fillet them and watch old movies. 
Then I'd sleep a few hours, go to teach school, and fish again with the boys after school the next day.
Now 20 tires me out.

We'll eat the white perch and some yellow perch tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment