Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday with Bruce and Abigail

I took Bruce and
Abigail and Elizabeth out for a ride in the new boat.  We went in to the First Lake with just an inch or so to spare under the metal beams of the Dyke Road.  I did scratch the motor a bit by not getting it tucked in enough.  I'm learning.
It was great fun to see the small lake.  I spent plenty of good times along that shore with John Almberg, Dolores, Melita,  having barbecue and tossing on yellow perch and white perch I caught off the shore.
We go no bites there today, but the current residents of John's old place waved to us.

Back in the Second Lake we hit some perch under the electric wires that run to the Island. Folks on the island were fixing the place up, using a nice pontoon boat to jet back and forth.  A couple of dogs ran around on the island, barking a bit.  They must be new owners.
Large yellow perch were right under the wires and I saw spawning beds.
We did not fill the bucket because we fished less than an hour, but I cleaned 6 fish and sent Bruce home with 3 nice perch.

The lake is already very weedy.  I can see why there are some pickerel lurking here that in past years have been driven out by the elimination of weeds and their most comfortable habitat.

The motor pushed the boat fine with 4 of us in it.  Amazing really, although we were not heading into the wind.  I'll have to get a second battery so I'm always starting with a well charged one.

I rigged up some more rope to keep the dock from shifting until I can manage to do something with it.  The rope was tied to the post that split.  Now it is tied to trees for the most part and it did stabilize that shift that worries me. 

Soon I can get in the water and perhaps brace it up and then I hope to add a stabilizing section.  We'll see.

It was a good day.  Some radio noise, but then it was turned down.  So, not too bad.
We all went up to the Tavern in Sand Lake for a meal.  Good beef brisket.  I had not realized they are a good BBQ place for smoked meats.
http://thetownetavern.com/

We sat outside there and talked and had a fine time right next to the creek where thirty years ago Tommy and I went with flashlights after dark to catch crawfish for bait.

No comments:

Post a Comment