Thursday, May 15, 2014

On the Water

 
 
This is what if feels like. I get to be alone out on the water.  Chuck, my neighbor took this photo.  On his facebook folks I don't know are making comments. 
What happened is Elizabeth offered to post it so I could get it for this blog.  And Chuck said fine and then he gave me venison sausages of two varieties.  Venison and pickerel.  How can life be better?
 
This morning, fishing just in the strip of water in front of the house, I hit another fine pickerel the size of the one in the pan photo.  I'll try to add those photos today. 
I got distracted by an infected tooth that I thought might be resurrected, but Andrew Cuomo's endodontist says it needs to be extracted. 
Okay,  now I can get on with cleaning my fish tomorrow and building my custom oars.  Stay tuned.
 
Today it was very windy and I went without motor because I want that battery to charge for when Dana and Jen visit.  I anchored out from the Kay's dock.  They throw bits of pizza in there and so there are fish there. They chum for me.  I hit a nice pickerel and some bluegills and perch.  Then I drifted into the Second Lake and caught more, including some good sized crappie. 
I'll clean them tomorrow.
I bought vinegar for a marinade too and checked a few recipes.  I am not a catsup based barbecue guy.  That North Carolina vinegar based sauce works for me. 
 
I did not take the motor. 
I did take the Frogg Tog raincoat and it proved valuable. 
It rained some and the wind blew hard at times, but I did manage to row home against it.  Good exercise!
 
 
I fished with a jig and an old dried worm from yesterday.  It worked for a while. Then I put on some eyes.  I had left them out and they had a very mellow smell to them.  I dipped them in some vanilla.  Something worked.  I filled a bucket with fish.
 
I hit some fish again near the buoy on Second Lake.  A small pickerel, just legal.
 
On a small plastic replica of a perch I have been catching lots of fish.  I can't remember where I bought it.   Then these green long tailed jigs work too.  I am not using the usual purple.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment