Saturday, May 17, 2014

First marinade

I tried apple cider vinegar, cumin, a bit of stevia, lots of garlic.
Marinated over night.
Put them on the grill.

I overcooked them a bit, but the tails were crispy.
Not enough smoky flavor.  I think I should do the fish with a steak so the smoke comes or get some hickory chips.

I like the taste but the vinegar overtakes it.  I know oil would help but I'm trying to do it on the very low cal.  I think a white wine vinegar would work.  Maybe some wine in the marinade would work.  Maybe some port for sweetness.
I need more spice.  Perhaps I'll add extra garlic power just as I cook the fish.

I do love this little grill that Chuck, the Dean of Bass, recommended.  It really gives me control.

I picked the meat from the bones and I'll decide what to do.  Eliz says that the small bits would make a great sandwich with mayo.  I agee, but I'm off all sandwiches and off mayo. 

I'm thinking I'll use the little plug in grill and cook some with a small bit of cheddar in  between two thick slices of eggplant (like the bread in a grilled sandwich). 

This morning I had the last of the pickerel and I made my own oyster chowder with cream of celery soup, milk, a bit of butter, and plenty of black pepper.  It was really good.  Oysters came in a can.  I tossed in the left over bits of jicama and they were like a potato in chowder.  Bluegill meat would be good in that mix as well.  Perhaps the next batch I'll fillet.
I don't much like the bluegill fish soup if it is the only fish in the mix, but with scallops, shrimp, clams or now oysters it works great.

Dana and Jen here today but too tired for a boat ride.  Perhaps tomorrow.  The water is just perfect today.  The fishing would be good.  We go out for dinner for Elizabeth's 16th birthday. (65 is the new 16) and then tomorrow gather for a little brunch party.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment